WELCOME to the LEARN TO SKATE USA
Group Lesson Program!
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
When Frederick County Schools are delayed or canceled due to inclement weather, the rink will open 2 hours late. ALL AFTERNOON & EVENING events will be held as scheduled unless otherwise noted. If Skate Frederick closes early, notification will be posted on our website, www.skatefrederick.com. All attempts will be made via email for those who have current update email addresses on file.
The mission of Learn to Skate USA is to provide a fun and positive experience that will instill a lifelong love of skating.
OBJECTIVES OF LEARN TO SKATE USA
- Teach children and adults the fundamentals of ice skating while building confidence and skills through each lesson.
- Provide a progressive curriculum that ensures success from the first steps on the ice to the mastery of advanced skills.
- Promote the health and fitness benefits of ice skating.
- Equip each participant with the foundation necessary to reach their goal, be it recreational or competitive in nature.
Stemming from the rebrand of the Basic Skills Program, Learn to Skate USA offers an abundance of enhancements tailored toward improving the experience for parents and skaters.
Learn to Skate USA is the only ice skating program endorsed by U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey, US Speedskating and the Special Olympics. Learn to Skate USA offers every participant a rewarding experience rooted in the lifelong benefits of ice skating.
- 25 minute session once per week
- 5 minute question and answer session for parents with instructor at the end of each lesson
- Rental skates for the lesson
- Public Session pass card to practice once a week
- Student membership to Learn to Skate USA Skills Program
Memberships are July 1 of current year to June 30 of following year
- Learn to Skate USA Skills Record Book with stickers
- USFS magazine
GROUP LESSON SCHEDULE
On-line registration is not available at this time. To register please choose one of the following methods:
- In person at the Pro Zone at Skate Frederick.
- Phone, please call (301) 662-7362. Credit card payment is required for registration.
- Fax, please send to (301) 662-7361 with credit card information.
CLASS MAKE-UP POLICY
Make-up classes are not available during the Summer months.
Skaters are allotted two make-up classes each semester of classes, however all make-up classes must be completed by the conclusion of the 7th week of classes. No make-ups on the 1st or last week. Make-up lessons are NOT allowed during evaluations, week 6. Please contact Kelly Orndorff, Skating Director, for make-up days at (301) 662-7362 ext. 16 or email@example.com
REGISTER FOR CLASSES
- By phone: (301) 662-7362
- Fax: (301) 662-7361
- Mail to: Skate Frederick 1288 Riverbend Way Frederick, MD 21701
- In person at Skate Frederick’s Pro Zone
LEARN TO SKATE INFORMATION
Fall, Winter and Spring Learn to Skate group classes are held in an 8-week format on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings unless otherwise specified.
The Summer Learn to Skate group lessons are in a 4-week format and are held on Wednesday evenings only. Mastering all of the required skills for a particular level can be challenging in a 4-week session. It’s very common for skaters to repeat a level taken during the Summer Mini Sessions. However, if the skill level is successfully completed the skater will graduate to the next level at any given time during the session.
Pre-registration is required for all classes. Classes fill quickly!
PROPER SKATING ATTIRE
- Dress in thin layers
- Wear warm clothes (pants, sweatshirt, jacket-no ski suits, please)
- Gloves, not mittens
- One pair of thin socks- doubling up on socks or having them too thick may cause a blister
- Bike helmet required for 3, 4, & 5 year olds
- Figure skates-for the first time skater, these are easier to learn in because the long, flat blade provides more stability. If playing hockey is your goal, the switch to hockey skates may be made after a time of success with figure skates. Please consult your instructor.
FIRST DAY OF CLASS
- Skaters should arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the start of class.
- Pick up skates (know your tennis shoe size) and name tag at Skate Rental.
- Instructors will give skaters their welcome packets.
Questions? Contact Kelly Orndorff, Skating Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-662-7362 ext. 16.